Wednesday 5 December 2007

Noel, Noel....

Yesterday I learnt how very close IL2 had come to seeing me off.

I had an appointment with Dr Ps registrar for routine bloods and a check up after last week.  It took all my energy to get dressed and out of the house and I could barely hobble from the car into the hospital.  First I had an ultra sound on my right arm because it has blown up like a balloon - and my shoulder and chest.  I have a blood clot in my arm pit caused by the PIC line - so now I have Clexane injections and Warfrin to take every day.  Brilliant.  I think Im single handedly keeping the pharmacutical industry alive with all the drugs Im on at the moment.  I was really worried this would affect my flying in a couple of weeks but nobody seemed concerned about it.  Apparently its not uncommon for this to happen.  So now both my arms are swollen and Im covered in a lovely bright red rash all over - I look like Mr Blobby !

Sarah, the registrar, confirmed I wouldnt be having any more IL2 due to my 'severe' reaction to it during the second week.  Its such a terribly toxic substance and I can see why patients have died in the past from this treatment.  To be honest my memories are a bit hazy, which is probably a good thing, but Im having some very scary nightmares at the moment which Im sure are in part flash backs.  I shall be having a CT scan in Janurary to see if its had an effect.  After all, I did manage 11 treatments so there is still a chance the IL2 has done some good after all !

Less than 2 weeks till we go to Brazil and Im panicing slightly I wont feel well enough.  I still feel so dreadfully ill.  I know its early days and last time it took a good week before I was feeling better so Im just resting as much as I can and trying to eat well.  And smothering myself in Doublebass cream to try and stop the itching and peeling.  How many layers of skin is a person supposed to have?....because Im sure Ive shed at least 10 by now !

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done in persevering with 11 treatments of IL2. Your description was one of sheer hell. Hope you will be able to go to Brazil in two weeks :)

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

The treatment sounds brutal,and the side affects dibilitating, hopefully with as much rest as possible, so you can at least enjoy your holiday

Cayasm

Anonymous said...

Rest, rest, rest.... you need your energy now for your holiday, which will do you the world of good :o)
Jaynee x

Anonymous said...

It sounds horrendous.  At least you got through 11 treatments Jane, and hopefully they will have worked.  Now rest and enjoy your holiday with your family.  You bloody deserve it!  

I just found out today my friend has malignant melanoma - she found out yesterday the lump they removed off her leg was cancerous and she is beside herself, heads in bits, i told her about you, you are an inspiration.  Good luck x

Anonymous said...

youre doing your best and you will recover soon,just be positive about Brazil,we are all rooting for you xx zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/domestic-chaos/

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jane.  The warfrin'll clear the clots beautifully and you'll back and firing on all cylinders well within the two weeks before your holiday, you'll see!  

But it's the subject of your holiday that I wanted to raise (er) again!

"Less than 2 weeks till we go to Brazil and Im panicing slightly I wont feel well enough.  See!  I HATE to put a dampner on things, but as you well know, it's your best interests alone I have at heart, here."

It's meeting your nieces and nephews for the first time that's bothering me.  You know what all children are like -- mischievous, energetic, inquisitive, cheeky, on the go from the crack of dawn, STILL going way past dusk and deeply resentful of any hint of a suggestion that they should stop at a respectable hour to re-charge their batteries with sleep -- in short, nature's closest known naturally occurring phenomenon to perpetual motion.  Now Jane, concentrate hard, look deep into eyes, watch the swinging pendulum and repeat after me: "I do not need all this hassle, disruption and disturbance in my life.  I do not need the frenetic, exhausting, exasperating experience of those children running round my feet from dawn till way past dusk.  I'll ltake things nice and easy recouperating in my nice, warm, comfortable, serene house back here in good old Blightey -- and let that noble, selfless and gallant chap Nick face all the rigours and hardships of that terrible country, Brazil, in my place".

You know it makes sense, Jane. I ONLY have your best interests at heart ...

Anonymous said...

Two weeks is quite along time ....so rest and take good care of yourself ,hopefully in two weeks you will feel so much better, I pray so anyway ,with love Jan xxx

Anonymous said...

You are truly an inspiration, I hope and pray IL2 has done its work. Have a fantastic holiday, you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Praying that you are ok for Brazil. . .you have to be. . .what a great place to go.