Wednesday 12 December 2007

See you next year!!

The fog is lifting at last and Im starting to feel more human again.  Still very weak and tired, but the swelling has gone down on both my arms and my appetite has returned - which is a good job because Ive lost 14kg in the past month!  The only major side effect Im left with is the ITCHING !!  Its driving both me and Martin mad as it makes for some very disturbed nights sleep.  Still I suppose its a minor irritation in the grand scheme of all thing IL2.

Im still on Warfrin for the clot in my arm, and will be for the next couple of months.  I go to the Anti Coag Clinic to have my blood checked every week and I must be the youngest there by about 30 years !  Even the doctor was surprised to see me and had to check I was at the right clinic.  They are sorting me out a regime for our holiday - everyone has been wonderful about it - it seems nothing is too much trouble for them.

Talking of being wonderful, I have to say how fantastic all the doctors and nursing staff have been during the past month.  Cat (Prof Hs Reg), Sarah (Dr Ps Reg) and Dr P himself have all phoned me at home over the past week just to see how I am and for a chat.  They are so kind and caring - I honestly cant speak highly enough of both teams - here at the QE and at Christies.  I feel so incredibly lucky to have them on my side.

I think Martin was feeling left out of all the medical attention flying about so he decided to get himself a case of the shingles.  Fortunately a very mild dose and our GP put him on anti virals straight away which have really helped.  It was probably caused by all the stress hes been under, bless him.  He really needs a break as much as I do - hes been fantastic keeping everything going here at home and looking after me - scratching my back etc...!

Talking of having a break - 4 days to go to Brazil !!

Im really getting excited now and have started sorting out my clothes to take - which is strange when its so very cold here.  It was 36 degrees in Rio yesterday so I dont suppose Ill need many !  Its quite a long journey to get there, Frankfurt first, then on to Rio.  About 18 hours travelling in total which I know is going to be quite hard for me but Im sure the excitement will carry me through.  It feels like such an adventure and a real experience for the kids.

Its been almost 10 months since I started this Blog and such a lot has happened.  There have been some very grim times when I didnt really expect to be seeing Xmas.  But there have been some wonderful uplifting moments as well.  Such as reading all the wonderful kind supportive comments on here. 

Id like to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas - but more than that a very HEALTHY New Year....

ElfYourself™ : Brought to you by OfficeMax®

Jane

 

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you all have a fabulous holiday with your brother and a peaceful and happy Christmas.  Best wishes from another Jane  :O)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane  have been reading about your incredible journey now for just 4 months and am incredibly impressed by your strength and positive attitude , I am having some worrying times with my husband at the moment as he is losing memory and the use of his legs but having your blog on AOL alert brings me back to reality and whatever comes to us can never compare with what you are going through !!!!! What an extraordinary lady you are!!! I hope your husband recovers well too Have a wonderful holiday and I look forward to hearing from you in the New Year heartfelt regards  
Jeanette from S. Wales

Anonymous said...

You have a fantastic time in Brazil, hopefully all that sunshine and warmth will have a positive effect. Merry christmas to you all
Kerry

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip to Brazil, am very pleased you are able to go :-)

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Holiday ~ a Happy Christmas ~ andI wish for you a  better and healthier New Year ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely time!!!! got a good feeling about you, methinks it's all gonna be fine x

Anonymous said...

 so  very  pleased.  hope  you  have  a   wonderful  time.  good  luck,happy  xmas,and  all  the  best  in 2008        mort

Anonymous said...

Jane have a wonderful holiday ,cos if anyone deserves it you do ,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Im SOOOOOO pleased you are much better! Have a fab holiday.I have been to the cancer clinic with my hubby today and hes ok too.Happy christmas to you too and for next year I wish you good health. . .thats all you need.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip to Brazil. Make sure you come back with one of those hats with all the fruit on it - you can use it to boost your vitamin intake when you get back...

David

Anonymous said...

Hello Jane - you sound fab, so up, despite the itching.   Poor Martin and his shingles, sounds like you all need the sunshine, so go enjoy.
Luv Jaynee x