Friday 17 October 2008

Toulon and Barcelona

Toulons pretty harbour.

Despite being sandwiched between Marseille and Nice, Toulon has to be one of the prettiest and nicest French towns I have visited.  It is a million miles away from the harsh image of St. Tropez with little narrow French streets, a bustling fruit and vegetable market and a lovely harbour front lined with bars and restaurants serving typical Provencal food.

After a morning wandering around the town and buying bits and pieces from the market this is where we found ourselves for the afternoon.  Sitting in a restaurant packed with locals enjoying Sunday lunch, in the company of a couple of friends from the cruise - Tia and Chris.  Several happy hours were spent sitting in the sunshine gossiping and drinking lager (them) and water (me) before we staggered (them) back to the ship just before it sailed.

Las Ramblas in Barcelona.

Barcelona is simply huge.  There is simply so much to see and do there its just not possible in one day so we decided to investigate the Las Ramblas area of the city, and that is big enough in itself.  Its mainly a shopping area but includes the gothic quarter with some fabulous old Spanish architecture.  After a couple of hours walking around my legs were complaining again, I must have walked miles and miles, so we sat down in a lovely square and just peopled watched for an hour.  Im actually amazed, and I know Martin was too, at how far I walked all week.  I have to admit I did find it absolutely exhausting but I was so determined not to miss anything.  And my feet were fine - the 'corn' hasnt made a reappearance yet !

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time you are having ,thankyou for sharing it with us ..love Jan xx

Ally Lifewithally said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time ~ wish I was there :o) ~ Ally x