Tuesday 1 December 2009

If it's Tuesday it must be Wednesday......

(Actually it IS Tuesday - Tuesday 1st December and I have just arrived home. The following are from notes I made whilst in ROH)


I've lost a day.
A Tuesday.
Goodness knows where it went.
It was there one minute and gone the next - I've actually had an argument with a nurse over what day it is !

It is in fact Wednesday 18th November and I should be in London today attending the James Whale Fund Cancer Patient Day - as their patient representative.
I'm so disappointed - I was really looking forward to taking part in the whole day, especially being the patient representative on the Q & A session in the afternoon chaired by my old mate Nick Owen.
Anyway - it can't be helped. And at the moment I have more important things to occupy my mind.

You may recall my mentioning that on the scans of my femurs there was a tumor, a smaller one, on my right femur. Well Mr Tillman has strongly suggested we deal with this tumor now before it causes any real problems like fracturing as the left one did. I don't think I could face going through that dreadful experience again. This operation would be smaller, the tumor and infected bone cut out and a metal plate 'concreted' into its place. This could actually take place next Monday (25th) so with a bit of luck I could be home at the beginning of December. Just in time for Christmas.

But what a horrible decision to make. I could be home in a few days if I decide to put the operation off until after Christmas. But then I would have to go in again and go through it all once more. It seems so unfair. There were a few tears and tantrums until I finally decided to get it over with now - and signed the consent form for 25th November.

Please God let this be the end now? No more operations please - whether on a Tuesday or Wednesday or whenever. Please no more pain. I've just started to mobilize with a zimmer frame and now I have to take a step backwards and have the other leg done.

So once more I'm off for another operation. Which has to be the last one because at the end of the day I've only got two legs !!

16 comments:

Sybil said...

Dear dear Jane, I am so so so so happy for you I am sitting here with a daft grin on my face...just the thought that you are home with us all again, It is an answer to so many prayers...Thanks be to God,
PLEASE try to take things easy now and you will I am sure soon be back thinking...."what, and where next" !!
Much Love Sybil xx

Jackie said...

Welcome back Jane so glad you're home with your family around you at last. May you sleep peacefully tonight and without pain! Tomorrow is another day, the 1st day of the rest of your new life!
Jackie x

Andy said...

I am so glad you are home. There is nothing like being in your home and that is speaking from experiance!
Andy

karen in ottawa canada said...

home sweet home - way to go Jane! so pleased for you that you've had the two legs done and can now work towards enjoying your Christmas season without thinking of having to go back for surgery. Relax and enjoy every stinkin' moment - you've earned it, and then some!
Hugs from across the pond as always,
Karen in Ottawa Canada

Deb said...

Welcome home my friend! I am sooo happy to hear that you are back home. Don't rush the recovery now, take it one day at a time.
You are one amazing woman!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Well done Jane,you are such a precious determid lady, am so delighted you are now at home

Herrad said...

Hi Jane,
Thinking of you.
Love,
Herrad

Unknown said...

Jane, My name is Tony and I just had my left kidney removed this Monday, because of a tumor we found incidentally/accidentally since I had encountered blood in September of this year. And earlier this year, my wife was diagnosed with breast-cancer.
So I know how it feels when things simply get too much at times. And I also know how important it is to come back home. I am home again too and I enjoy it more than ever, despite the all the post-surgery discomfort.
So "cheers" to us and let's take it easy fo a little while before we take on the next round.
I wish you all the best, God's blessing and stay strong!
Tony

mortonlake said...

2 legs.and the biggest,bravest heart i know.welcome home jane.love mort xx

Jackie said...

Hi Jane all is quiet on the homefront? how are you doing now you're home? been thinking of you every day! hope you're managing to get into a good routine and not over doing it! Catch up with us all soon just so we know you're o.k. How's the bucket list any new additions?
Jackie x

LYN said...

SO GLAD YOU'RE HOME!!! GREAT NEWS...AND WHAT A GREAT XMAS PRESSIE!!

Deb said...

Just wanted to check in to say "hello"....sure hope you are doing ok. Thinking of you everyday!
Deb

Ana said...

Hi Jane!
I just saw your link at Herrad's blog and came to know you.
Hope everything goes well.
Love,
Ana

Sybil said...

Hi Jane, just popped in to see if you had left another message....Do hope that you are ok and that you are getting your strength back..

God Bless, Love Sybil x

R Allen said...

Wow... glad that you are home! I hope you can take things easy and enjoy life!

Deb said...

Jane..just checking in to say "hi"..also wanted you to know that I placed your video Part 1 of Jane's Journey on my blog. It was long overdue.....what was I thinking before. Anyway, I've done it now...you take care of yourself and I hope you will receive lots of encouraging emails......
Deb