Sunday 25 May 2008

Three days.....

......... thats all it took.  Just 3 doses of Sutent and my tumours started shrinking noticably again - and the pain in my armpit disappeared.

I feel incredibly encouraged by this - just 3 capsules and it appears my cancer is yet again under control.  How fantastic is this drug?  Which makes it all the more disgusting that the NHS are STILL refusing to fund it for some patients here in the UK.

So I may have to take it continuously - its a price Im more than prepared to pay.  And the side effects fade into insignificance compared to the positive benefits Im gaining.

All I need now is for my PCT to pull their fingers out later this month and affirm my re-approval for funding.  I just hope they dont take too long, Dr P cant re-apply for me until he has the results of my CT scan, due on the 19th June, and my present course of Sutent will finish on 17th.  Im panicing slightly at the thought of being off the drug for too long. 

My original approval was given in less than 4 weeks, one of the fastest ever known, so Im hoping the PCT will process it even quicker this time.  Ideally I want to be taking Sutent again by the time I go on holiday.

Talking of our holiday there has been a slight change in plan.  Well, a big change actually.  We are now going on a cruise !  24th June we fly to Palma, join the ship, and sail round the Med for a week stopping off at various ports along the way.  Im SO excited - Ive never been on a cruise before, Ive always wanted to but it has never appealed to Martin.  Carol and I have all these wonderful, silly, childish plans, like lounging on the poop deck pretending we are in an Agatha Christie novel !

The ship stops at Sardinia, Rome and Nice - all places I have never been, but always wanted to - amongst others.  Im determined to see as much as I possibly can, even if it means falling asleep next to the Trevi Fountain due to exhaustion !

There are 3 restaurants on the ship, one of them open 24 hours - Martin said he is going to weigh us before we leave and again when we get home.......

I think I know what the results will be !

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant news that the sutent works so speedily.  I'm sure you'll love cruising and even if you do get tired when the boat docks and you go off to see the sights there'll be time cruising in bteween when you can rest up.  Fingers crossed there's no gales in the Med while you're there altho even that is very exciting  :O)

Anonymous said...

So happy for you that the results are so quick on the Sutent.. It is such a shame that it is not universally available.. Have a wonderful cruise I am looking forward to a blow by blow account when you get back !!  Hope that you are ok with Ins. ?
I am away in the morning with Mary to Llandudno for 5 days..hope the weather changes it is like a monsoon this morning !!  Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

This is great news that you are responding so well to the Sutent and incredible that the tumours are shrinking within such a short time.  Keeping fingers crossed for more funding.  The cruise sounds wonderful and I am sure you'll have a great time.  Hugs, Tells x

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane - you sound happy and excited, and so you should its excellent news that Sutent is working so quickly again for you.  I had to laugh at you and your friend being i a Agatha Christie movie....hehee, sounds like you will have super fun together, how fab.   I'd love to do a cruise and have promised myself i shall do one when i am 55 so i am saving like mad !!
Take care, Luv Jaynee X

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news to hear that once again the drug is working for you ,I hope they dont keep you long waiting for the funding as it seems to be so beneficial to you ,Love the sound of the cruise especially the Agatha Cristie bit ,and would love to see the Trevi fountain ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Glad to read that the Stutent is once again working it's magic, and that you are much encouraged by this. The cruise sounds fabulous I've never been on one it's never appealed, but you girls will have the best time I'm sure.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

Lol. Good old martin! Typical man!. Yay at both bits of news. Glad to hear the sutent is doing the business and a cruise eh? Well, how wonderful does that sound?. I am so pleased for you. Excellent news. I hope they sort It out the  timing properly with the sutent. Can't wait for the hol pics. Love Pam xx

Anonymous said...

jane,  so glad  hun     at  both bits of news          you have a great time   cruise will do you world of good,   and   hope  the sutent  keeps working its  magic.   our health care is a lottery,whoever  decides  these things,who gets it,who doesn't    i  hope  they never  have to make that choice  if its someone  they love.   although,im sure  that  wouldn't happen.  no contest  huh??   you take care,   get strong,have  fabulous  time.   and if you havent put at least a stone  on when you get back,,,you aint  been  trying     tut   lol  love  and  all my best wishes        mort xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I love your spirit and humour and wish I could join you on the holiday too.I hope that you get the funding for Sutent too. . .im sure you will.

Anonymous said...

Jane, you will love cruising.  The pools on the ones we have done have been nothing special, but lying on a lounger, on the decks, with a book and a drink, just watching the world go by,  is out of this world.  The staff are usually pretty special too.  You can do nothing, or everything.  Make sure you get some good photos!  

Chris xx