Sunday 16 November 2008

Making a difference

A couple of months ago I was invited to take part in an 'Expert Patients Course' at my GP's surgery. The title is a bit of a misnomer really as its designed and aimed at patients with a long term chronic health condition such as diabetes or arthritis and the idea is to help them self manage their condition. However I found it very useful and informative.

The course lasted for 6 weeks and at the end of it I was invited onto the committee of the Patients Health Forum for my PCT. I accepted immediately for two reasons. firstly I think it will be another stage for me to 'bang my drum' about RCC drugs and secondly because it will be a way of keeping a finger on the pulse of what is happening in the NHS.

I was certainly right in the second instance. At the first meeting I attended I was invited onto the board of the PCT's 'TeleHealth' new initiative. The general idea of this is that patients with conditions which require regular monitoring - blood sugar readings, peak flows etc - will be able to do their own readings at home, or have a district nurse do them, and the results then sent by a dedicated phone or computer line for assessment at the surgery or hospital. Which sounds like a good idea doesnt it? However, we still have to see how this will work out in practice.

So I may not be able to work any more, and I do miss it when Im feeling well, but by involving myself as a patient in these working groups and committees I may be able to make a difference in some small way. Plus Im meeting a lot of nice people and making new friends. And who knows where this may lead ? Minister for Health next ! ha ha !

6 comments:

Yasmin said...

Theres an award for you on my blog.

Glad your getting more insight, and continuing to make progress, and if it can help you and others somuch the better.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

ADB said...

Hi Jane,
Very pleased to still find you in good spirits. Even though you're not working, you do contribute a lot.

Guido

Jeannette said...

Many Congratulations on receiving your award from Yasmin. Well done.

karen in ottawa canada said...

good for you Jane - what an inspiration you continue to be! Being useful really is a great feeling isn't it - and keeps us being positive - can't be all doom & gloom when we've got work to do!
Keep it going girl! I aspire to follow in your footsteps as soon as I recover from this damn 2nd surgery!

Deb said...

You are certainly such an inspiration for other cancer patients Jane! I admire all that you do and especially your positive attitude.

Keep up the great work!
Debbie

Lori said...

I think that's a great way to keep involved and who knows, this may really benefit a lot of people. Congratulations on the award from Yasmin!