Saturday 19 April 2008

Sutent Day 11

Day 11 - and still no sign of any serious side effects.  Bit of a sore mouth, bit queasy at times, funny 'metallic' taste in my mouth, but nothing really bad.  Had my BP checked again on Friday and its actually come down.

And.......I dont know whether I dare write this - it feels like tempting providence - BUT... the lump next to my nose has almost disappeared!  Its tiny now, you can hardly feel it and the little thread veins that were 'feeding' it have faded altogether.  Remember I spoke about kidney cancer tumours having a rich blood supply and that being one way they are diagnosed?

The lump on my scalp feels slightly smaller and 'squashier' and the one under my armpit definitely isnt any bigger.  And that one was growing alarmingly !

Soooooooo......cautiously optimistic (VERY cautiously !)

Sutent (or to use its proper name Sunitinib) works by preventing the activity of proteins that are involved in the growth and spread of certain types of cancer cells.  It works on approx. 40% of patients who take it (although I have read reports that say as high as 65%) and when it does work, it works really well, either by stabilising the disease or even shrinking tumours.

But it isnt a cure.  The side effects can be extemely debilitating, especially over time with successive cycles, and some serious enough to warrant lowering the dose or even discontinuing the drug.

But Im running ahead of myself as usual - Im only on day 11 and have a long way to go !

10 days till our holiday and I really cant wait.  The days of 'IL2 Rhino skin' which meant generous applications of very thick moisturiser several times a day have resulted in lovely soft skin all over - and FINALLY my hair has stopped falling out in handfuls - so I can now look at myself in the mirror without scaring myself !

Family life goes on ofcourse, intertwined in all this.  With the lighter evenings Martin and Edward reimmerse themselves in their passion for golf.  Catherine, being 17 now, has a busy social life and James is either working, out with his friends or seeing Grace.

At times I feel almost redundant - except meal times !

Actually this is all pretty comforting.   Whatever happens now I can look at my family with a fierce pride in the knowledge I had a small hand in that.

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are still feeling not to bad.  Keep being positve don't think that by being positive you are tempting things.  I am sure that the more positive we are the better will be the cure. Just don't even think that the treatment won't work...it will...You beat it or it beats you was Mum's favourite saying and she was so so right.  Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

im pleased for you Jane, glad it seems to be working after all youve been through.  Have a great holiday and start planning the next one! x

Anonymous said...

I am so uplifted by this entry ,keep up this wonderful positive thinking ,you know you are going to beat this thing ,God Bless you Jane ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Jane you keep thinking positive thoughts ~ I am so pleased for you that everything is going well ~ keeping you in my thoughts and prayers ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Everything is moving along nicely, and the Stutent appears to be doing it's magic, and long may it continue, your family are I can see a great source of strength and pride to you. Sending big hugs and best wishes.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

So impressed with you ... hope this time goes by quickly now for your hols and that the sun will do you a powe of good.  Hugs, Tells x

Anonymous said...

Think you're doing pretty well on the Sutent, Jane, having just read up on the stuff. And I'm pleased to hear you've done well with your family :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, i have not commented for a while but wanted you to know i am still following your journey and of course i always wish you well :o)
Your holiday will soon be here, and it will be fab, more memories for you to make :o)
You are an absolute STAR and an inspiration to all of us that read your journal.
Much Love, Jaynee X

Anonymous said...





so pleased for you. have been reading your comments . keep strong.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jane. I sighed a huge sigh of relief when I read your entry. At last you are getting a wee break from It all. I can't wait for your holiday to come round either, I just want you to have a brilliant time. Good to hear about the hair, I see I won't be called upon just yet!! lol. Offer still stands though. Take Care. You are always In my thoughts and prayers. Love Pam xx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got this back up and running, Jane.  Continuing to follow your progress and think of you.  Hang on in there.