Wednesday 26 August 2009

Radio - Sky - Global News !

Kate was there at 8.30am with a taxi to take us, Martin, Catherine and I, to the radio studio. The boys had decided they would rather have a lie in - lazy toads.

As usual Kate was really concerned about how I was feeling, making sure I was ok and felt up to the day ahead. I knew little about PR work before I met the girls Charlotte, Kate and Heather from RedHealth. The only impressions I had of the job was of the 'Absolutely Fabulous' kind - and that couldn't be further from the truth. They have all worked so hard on this campaign and have been so kind and considerate to me and my family. They are all a credit to the company they work for.

Ive never been to a radio station before so had no idea what to expect, but I did expect it to be busy and bustling with a lot of people there. It wasn't. In fact we were the only ones there apart from the producer and the man who twiddled the knobs and made everything happen. We sat in the main reception area which was very plush with big squashy sofa's and coffee and croissants and the papers and waited until my first 'slot' which was to be at just after 9am.

The list of interviews I was to do was a bit daunting - actually it was blooming scary - 11 altogether. And 4 of them 'live' (eekk!!) All were for local radio stations and covered the country from Jersey to the north east and Wales.

A few minutes before the first interview was due to start I was shown into a teeny room with a desk, a set of headphones and one of those big microphones that hang down in front of your mouth. One side of the room was a huge window into the room next door where all the technical stuff was, a long desk of knobs and buttons and screens and the producer sat and could talk to me. And at the back of this room sat Martin, Catherine and Kate - grinning at me like Cheshire cats!

I put the headphones on - and waited, my heart thumping away. I'm sure they must have been able to hear it next door. All of a sudden a voice in my ears said 'Hello Jane' - and we were off.

The morning passed in a blur of me chatting to various DJ's from up and down the country about the kidney cancer awareness campaign, Jane's Journey and the signs and symptoms and importance of early diagnosis. My early fears melted away and I found it much easier than I expected - really enjoyable - I think I must have a face for radio!

I had a couple of breaks during the morning and was allowed out of my 'cupboard' for a coffee and it was during one of these that Kate told me 'Jane's Journey' had been rolling news on Sky News all morning - and I had missed it !! We found it online and watched it. What a brilliant piece Eleanor had done. It was everything and more we could have hoped for - and on Sky rolling news!

Just after 1pm and we had finished. The pains in my legs and exhaustion I now felt, I think I had been running on adrenaline up to then, drove us back to the hotel where I took to bed for a rest. Martin and the boys went out to explore the West End, Catherine stayed to keep an eye on me.

We had an early dinner, caught the train, and were back home by 10pm. It had been a long couple of days - but so enjoyable for all of us. Most important of all I felt I had done my very best in representing kidney cancer patients in raising awareness of this horrible disease.

Early the next morning the press/media coverage started to come in - the following are just a few that were aired/published.

Sky News

Lack Of Awareness About Kidney Cancer In The UK: Sufferer Stars In Short Film About The Disease - Sky News Video Player

'Jane's Journey' makes it onto a US news station!!

Ebru News Kidney Cancer On The Rise

And my local news paper....

Birmingham Mail - News - Birmingham News - Selly Oak nurse's battle with kidney cancer to be watched by millions

8 comments:

Jackie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

what is it with computers they always do the unexpected? I was trying to post to say I've now seen the dress! Well done Jane such widespread publicity is what is needed to get earlier detection of our awful disease and you've achieved this by miles! Now take time out and rest, doctors orders remember.
Jackie x

Clair Gibson said...

I am so glad you are getting the message out and I echo everyone who says take it easy. Enjoy your days while you have the energy.

However, Nice made their decision and as expected the rest of the drugs are denied to the NHS. The fight goes on .........

Sybil said...

I can't believe that I have a friend who is now famous worldwide, LOL. I have been busy looking at the sky news and couldn't believe my eyes when it was YOU..now read about it in the papers etc etc etc...
Take plenty rest in next few days love and get these batteries recharged.
Much Love Sybil xx

Unknown said...

You're doing so well in getting the message out. Take care of yourself Jane.

LYN said...

you continue to amaze me...
hope you have a smashing bank holiday weekend!!

Hayley said...

My husband is battling Kidney cancer, and his treatment is Torisel. I have never heard of NICE so I'm not sure what that is all about, but I think it's amazing how much you've done to get Kidney cancer awareness out there. Good luck with your fight!

katymine said...

Jane, I hope you are still with us on this earth. I have been lurking now for at least a year or two but have not posted. I live in the US and actually worked to get the death with dignity law passed in Oregon back in 1996 and again several years later.

I've had RCC the summer 1007. It is now in lungs, spleen, brain, both hip joints and as soon your post about ignoring joint & muscle pain then I knew. I flew through the posts to make sure you were ok.

Even though we never communicated, you have been close to my heart. If you decide on Assisted Suicide please let me know because my parents live in Oregon and would welcome with open arms. My mother used to do Hospice care when she was able. (88yrs old now)

Thank you for sharing your story...it is much like mine. Loved France, Italy, Switzerland and Crete last summer.