Saturday 29 May 2010

Update.. just when you thought it was going smoothly

Nothing goes smoothly with cancer, I've learned that the hard way.

Friday night/ Saturday morning Jane developed an infection in her chest. Her temperature rose to dangerous levels and I just sat with her in despair. I phoned Caroline who came up straight away and together we put together a game plan. We contacted everyone and with Jane's wish for me never to take her to hospital again, we pushed for a return to St Mary's. Jane was in a semi-conscious state, sometimes crying out for God to help her. She hadn't eaten or drank anything in 12 hours and was not taking anything orally, including her MST. I feared the worse..

The on call district nurse was marvelous and soon had St Mary's on the phone and by 2pm she was in her own room, anti-biotics inside her and fans directed to keep the temp down. She looked so vulnerable but by 5pm I was so tired and had to leave her in the capable hands of the nurses. She was still in her semi-conscious state and I felt real guilt in leaving her.. still fearing the worse.

Martin

7 comments:

Andy said...

I am so sorry to hear your news. Dont feel guilty about leaving her in those more than capable hands you have been a tower of strength to her. I am not very good at saying this kind of thing but all my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Andy

Deb said...

Sorry to hear of Jane's return to hospital. I pray that this will just be a short stay once the dr's get her infection under control. You have done everything you can Martin, so don't ever feel guilty. I do know though from being a caregiver myself, that we always think we could do more.
I will be praying for better days ahead for Jane.
Deb

Jenn M said...

I am so sorry to hear about the latest. Hoping that strength will get all of you through..

ADB said...

That is not good news, Martin. I'm sorry to hear Jane has taken a turn for the worse, but sometimes you have to give over - as you rightly did on this occasion. Keep us updated, we're here for you both.

Unknown said...

Very sorry to read this. I hope things are getting better now. Please remember that both of you have done your very best from the start.

LYN said...

OH NO! SORRY TO HEAR THIS MARTIN..PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED AND MY CONTINUED LOVE AND PRAYERS..

I ABSOLUTELY ADMIRE YOUR DEDICATION AND THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR JANE...I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE..MY OWN HUBBY HAD CANCER...SO I CAN SAY THAT FOR REAL...

KEEP ON KEEPING ON... xx

todkaren said...

So sad to hear this has happened when Jane had just returned home. Our love and thoughts are with you all. lots of love Tod Karen & Connor xxx