Friday 6 November 2009

Pass the prunes......

Morphine is undoubtedly a great pain killer. But it has one side effect which is much misunderestimated. Constipation. Not a nice subject to write about I know, but it is the reality of being on MST.



Being constipated is well and truly awful.It makes you feel dreadful - your head is all fuzzy and you can feel faint and sick. Plus of course you can get horrid pains in your tummy. Ive been lying almost immobile in bed now for 15 days - and my gut has responded by going on strike. I'm still eating well - but little is coming out of the other end!



Today it made me feel REALLY ill for the first time - my dearest wish is to be able to get out of bed and sit on the loo - not to have to try to use the bed pan lying down.

Things came to a 'head', literally, today when the doctor prescribed me some suppositories. The poor nurses on duty drew straws for whom would have to deal with the results of such a drastic turn of events - we are talking of almost 2 weeks worth of beans on toast and prunes for breakfast!!

Anyway - suffice to say that the suppositories worked, I feel 100% better and in my point of view my nurses are complete heroes/heroines!!




12 comments:

Andy said...

So glad you feel better now, nurses have to put up with a lot don't they.
Andy

ADB said...

Glad you got relief from that problem, Jane.

karen in ottawa canada said...

you are such a trooper Jane! a super duper pooper trooper! couldn't resist! you keep that sh*t coming - we want a blow by blow account (aye matey, she's gonna blow!)

Lovely as always that you keep your great sense of humour shining through! You are one remarkable gal and I feel honoured to call you a friend.
Hugs as always from across the pond,
Karen in Ottawa Canada

LYN said...

SO HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BLOW OUT!! ;-)

LYN said...

I DON'T SUPPOSE ANYONE WOULD MAIL ME A COPY OF YOURS WOULD THEY?? I'LL REIMBURSE OF COURSE...OR COULD I VIEW IT ONLINE??

Jackie said...

Oh Jane you always bring a smile to my face! I know just how you felt after the treatment worked! it's like a huge weight being lifted isn't it and now you feel stones lighter! Hope they had a fresh air spray to hand though.
Jackie x

pam said...

Hey Jane. Constipation Is just so awful. So pleased you got good results. Love Pam xx

mortonlake said...

at least you didnt need the drastic action i did 2 years ago.lol.im not sharing either.suffice to say i had tears in my eyes.you keep on going lol.actually thats a norfolk saying,but works well here.hope pain is managed.keep in there jane,lots of love,mort,im charging yours an advertising fee,lol.my local shopm normally sells 3 copies has sold 11 because i told neibours you in.xxxx

Daria said...

I am so glad you have some relief ... I know I get real grumpy when I can't go.

Lori said...

Glad you are better now. My husband uses Epsom salts when he needs a little help in that area. It tastes horrible, but if you can get it down, it will work very well and very quickly.

Jane said...

I had dreadful constipation for 3 unremitting weeks when I had meningitis earlier this year and I know what misery it is so I'm glad to read that you've got sorted now.

I bought 'Yours' magazine btw to read the article which featured you and Gracie. She's a little cracker and the twinkle in her eye she gets from her Granny I think.

You know that you're going to be a family heroine for generations to come and you have no reason to fear not making an impression - even those unborn descendants yet to come will I'm sure come to know you through your words and pictures.

I always read but rarely comment because I'm fearful of sounding trite but you have my entire admiration.

Helicreature said...

I had a word with God and the Universe about it: 'Dear Lord, trees, sky angels, whoever else is prepared to step in (note; I like to hedge my bets!)Jane has got a problem with her bum. She's got enough on her plate. Immediate intervention required please'.

Whoever answered my heartfelt call must have had a sense of humour to supply a nurse wielding a suppository.